Cruise highlight reel 2018

A lot of maneuvering around double parked vehicles. Really cool! I always love the music in Cruise’s videos too.

Here’s where I come out of the shadows: If that looks like cool stuff to work on, LMK. We’re hiring like mad, and we’re launching a ride-share service before the end of the year. And if you’re concerned about stuff like “I don’t wanna move to San Francisco” or “But I don’t know things about things!” message me anyway!

Important perk: Employees can currently get rides in the cars. :smiley: I did that today.

This video gives me a lot of anxiety. Not because I know it’s a self driving car… just for the passenger. :joy: I feel like I need to be both swearing at everyone and apologizing profusely.

It’s an honour to have you! :raised_hands: :confetti_ball:

What’s entertaining is being a passenger in them, they’re super timid, so half the time you want to just yell “GO!!! YOU HAVE THE SPACE!!” Cruise spun out of a startup with the goal of building the safest car, so it wasn’t originally going to be self-driving. As a result, we’re super cautious and very law adherent. I just imagine the computer white-knuckled on the steering wheel, worrying there’s a 5yo on a bicycle and full speed behind every double-parked-vehicle.

Also, I laugh every time I see someone honk or yell at one of our cars. I mean, it sucks that we’re making other people anxious and we’re working on that, but still, it can’t hear you (well it can, but not like you want it to).

You’d be a lot less nervous if the video was at normal speed.

I drive these neighborhoods frequently and the situations depicted are pretty rare. The performance is quite nice and if the shown behavior is typical then Cruise must have decent margin on the large majority of drives.

I notice that the car is taking advantage (by design or otherwise) of the fact that when you get these extreme situations all the drivers become much more cautious and reasonable. Crossing into oncoming traffic, ignoring signage and signals, relying on other vehicles to respond reasonably to what you do, this is all stuff that people tend to do while keeping a close eye on other drivers and being extra conservative. In a sense these situations are a lot safer and more reasonable than they seem at first glance because the other drivers aren’t themselves on autopilot.

I’d guess that crossing that line and learning to ‘trust’ other drivers is pretty hard for the teams that develop these systems, but when you get over that line the performance in extreme situations probably improves a lot.