Welcome to Gradient Descent!

Gradient Descent is a forum for deep, detailed discussion of self-driving car technology. Topics include anything relevant to autonomous driving, such as: deep learning, reinforcement learning, computer vision, behaviour prediction, path planning, driving policy, sensors, computing hardware, HD maps, and simulation.

2 Likes

I very quietly read the entire NN thread on TMC since it began on 5th Nov. It almost made me join the forum.

I watched the battles with Bladerskb and the profound insights of jimmy_d.

I’m happy to be here.

(First forum I’m joining in a decade!)

Zembyr.

1 Like

Holy cow! I’m honoured! :open_mouth:

I hope we can create a good community here. If there’s anyone you know who you can invite, please do.

1 Like

Hi Guys and Gals - looking forward to seeing how this forum evolves.

Lets have some fun with it!

3 Likes

Welcome Jimmy! It’s a pleasure to have you! :blush:

1 Like

Welcome captain.

Some stats on how the forum is doing so far. We have:

• over 40 registered users
  • over 7,000 total pageviews
  • an average of 2.4 new signups per day over the last 5 days
  • an average of 2.2 site visits per user
  • 20-35% of monthly active users are active on any given day

:tada: :confetti_ball:

Now I just hope we can get more people posting and participating.

P.S. We now have forum guidelines.

3 Likes

If there is anything I can do to help. Please let me know

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Invite people you know! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Forum guidelines:

1. Kindness. Carl Buehner: “They may forget what you said — but they will never forget how you made them feel.” Give people a feeling of warmth and acceptance.

2. Open-mindedness. This forum is not about debating to “win”. Disagreement is an opportunity to clarify our ideas, to refine our opinions into falsifiable claims, and to look for new evidence that might help settle the issue.

3. Advancing the discussion. This is a place for us to help each other increase our understanding of autonomous car technology. The goal is to advance the discussion to ever-greater levels of technical depth and detail.

A good rule of thumb for online discussions:

If, in a professional office setting, saying something to a coworker would get you fired or reprimanded, you should not say that to a stranger online.

1 Like

We just hit 50 members! Woohoo!

1 Like

If you build it, they will come.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Bit of a technical update on the forum. Since launch, the forum has been backed up weekly to Digital Ocean (the hosting provider). Starting yesterday, it is also now backed up daily to Amazon Web Services (AWS). People invest time in writing well-thought-out posts, so I want to ensure that work isn’t lost in the event something happens to the server.

Also, if you want to enable two-factor authentication, turns out we’ve had that feature all along. Just go to your account preferences; it’s under the “Password” heading.

New feature: You can now log in (or sign up) with Google! Yay! :partying_face:

Google%20login%20yay

1 Like